Pandang Island

By Brenda Lu - 7:13 AM

Dear loves,

Today I am writing to you about my trip to Pandang Island that happened on probably March 2018 (could not remember the exact date). A short one day trip with my favourite person to one of the hidden gem of Sumatra, Pandang Island located right at Strait of Malacca, about 47 km from Tanjung Balai. Pandang Island is about 500m long and 250m wide, located near to a small isolated island named Salahnama Island or sometimes known as The Brothers Island. 

It is rare to find clear water beaches in Medan, North Sumatra, so when I knew this place existed I was so excited (clearly I had not been exploring my own hometown 😣, not a good example). We were not familiar with Pandang Island, hence we joined local tour from Instagram (group of twenty plus people). The charge of the tour included boat fee, lunch, life vest (not insurance definitely), transport from city ⇄ the dock (which took 8++ hours back and forth). All charges were below or near to Rp. 300.000,- (last year's price). The island was pretty isolated, as in only local fishermen were the only people there including us the only outsiders. What I heard from the tour guide, you could stay the night there, but you would need to bring your own drinking water (the water there is not safe to drink), your own food (no food stalls or convenient stalls at all).

The trip was short, but worth it, at least for me because I love beaches and I love seeing fishes in clear blue water.


(Taking instagrammable photo at the dock) 

The water in the picture above is still dirty and oily. We had to use small boat to get to bigger boat located at much higher water that would bring us to the island. 



(Smiling from the small boat)


Mind you the weather was really sunny and hot, much sunscreen is needed!  It took about 15 minutes for the small boat journey, luckily I brought a hat. If you get dizzy easily from heat, please help yourself and bring a hat or mini fan. 







(I saw no one was in the boat cockpit, I quickly stole the spot for some photos, pretended to enjoy the empty cup)



The journey on the bigger boat was okay, I got to enjoy what I had never enjoyed before, the sea. Pandang Island is located in Melaka Strait, we thought the waves would be big and strong, but the sea waves was actually calm. I got the chance to spot some small flying fishes and it was remarkable (mind you it was my first time in the middle of the sea 🙋, so I could be a bit too much). We did not use life vest during the big boat journey, but please feel free to protect your life and request for life vest. 

In the middle of the journey, one of the passenger dropped her big backpack into the sea. She cried for help and demanded the boat captain to make a U-turn for the backpack. It was a scene (all her belongings including smart phone and wallet were inside). Fortunately, the big backpack was actually floating and the people could take it back. 

We reached to the island, but we had to use smaller boat to transport us there because of the low tide. 











(Quick photo before reaching the island. You could see the coral reef)


I was so excited to do the quick snorkelling, but during that time we did not get much time to do so as our time was much spent on exploring the island. 







What I love about isolated places is that you can take picture anywhere you want without crowds interrupting and/or spoiling your background. 

There is a lighthouse, but we need to do small hiking using this very slippery slipper. It was tiring, but worth the view!

 (Journey to the lighthouse) 

Could we be more stupid. None of us brought drinking water 😩, the weather was hot, we were tired and very much thirsty.




(View on top of lighthouse) 





(Quick romantic snap before heading back)


One of the highlight in this trip is the journey of going back. The sunset, the air (made me bloated and farted few times), the breathtaking view, the flying fishes, except for the few plastic wastes found floating in the middle of the clear blue sea 😕, this trip also made me aware of my surrounding and the earth and that we should save and produce lesser plastic waste. Another lesson to learn, be mindful where I put my things. I lost my slippers. 








Couldn't be more grateful that I got to experience this small one day trip. Hope to camp there one day. 




Cheers,
Brenda






  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you! i will reply very very soon xoxo